Questions and Answers
This is a collection of frequently asked questions we have answered over the years. Most likely you will find a question you are about ask already answered here.
For any other question please contact us at info[at]chelidonia[dot]com or via this form .
1. How far is Chelidonia Villas from town center?Two minutes by foot to central town square, as Chelidonia is located in the center of Oia. The reception is on main street, a pretty narrow, marbled lane reserved to pedestrians. Bus station, bakeries, groceries, a dozen restaurants, cash machines etc. can alle be reached within five minutes.
2. What about breakfast?Each villa comes with a fully equipped kitchen or kitchenette including a fridge, two hotplates, coffee-machine, water kettle, toaster, pots, pans and table ware. The majority of our guests prefer to organize their own breakfast at any time they feel happy to enjoy it on their own veranda. The maid is ordered not to disturb at that time. Three cafeterias, grocery, bakery and other shops are two to three minutes walk away.
3. Is there a pool at Chelidonia villas?Definitely not. Chelidonia Villas ist an ensemble of carefully restaurated historic buildings. The entire Caldera side of Oia is under protection of the UNESCO world cultural heritage program. Aside of that we would not feel comfortable offering a pool here for ecological reasons. All our water comes from a salt water dehydration plant running on fuel.
4. How can I access the internet?There is fast WiFi in every corner of each house and on all the terraces. The access code is available at the reception desk. The computer room next door offers a guest PC and a printer. You can use the printer with your own mobile device if you prefer that. Our network was upgraded in spring 2014, overall bandwith has doubled with a second high speed DSL internet connection.
5. Is there daily maid service?Yes of course. Towels are changed daily, bed sheets every three days respectively in the middle of a 7 night's stay. Beach towels are available on request.
6. How do we get to Chelidonia Villas from Santorini [air]port?Please inform us in time (at least on day before) about the exact details of your arrival (flight number or name of ferry), so we can order a mini bus pick-up service to wait for you at main port or Santorini airport. Price is 25 Euros for up to three persons. Additional person 8 Euro. Our porter service (free of charge) will be at the parking lot when you arrive in Oia to carry your luggage. Chelidonia Villas is in the pedestrian zone. If you consider renting a car we can be of help. Please contact us
7. Chelidonia terraces: Sunset, sunrise and marine traffic?The caldera side of Oia - so all of our villas - are facing south/southeast: the three volcano islands and the full caldera. You can follow the entire marine traffic entering and leaving the Santorini Caldera from our terraces. You see the sun rise over Santorini early morning, our webcam only displays part of the angle ov view. On clear days mostly in spring and autumn the white mountains of Crete rise up on the horizon. On the other hand the best way to enjoy the sunset is in a fish tavern at the fishing port of Ammoudi. There you are on the same level with the sun when it touches the sea.
8. Where are the nearest beaches?There are several to choose from:
I) Armeni is at the end of a 15 minutes walk downstairs the rocks of the caldera. More rocks awaiting you there and beaches of reddish black sand and fish tavernas as well. Back upstairs rent a mule rides are available.
II) Katharos is about 15 minutes to walk on a road from the center of Oia (no stairs). Katharos beach commes with red and black pebbles, a snack bar offering shade, small meals and cool drinks.
III) Baxedes is a very long partly sandy beach with dark volcanic sand and is located at Oia's northern flat coast, 3 km from centreville. During high season public busses operate several times a day. It takes you just about 5 minutes by motor scooter or a car to go there.